top of page
When someone has died there are lots of things that need to be done, at a time when you probably least feel like doing them. One of these is contacting government departments and different services in the local authority that need to be told. On our initial visit to you we will provide you with a leaflet containing all of this information and we can help to guide you through the process.  
Xerox Scan_0803202114100500000001 (2).JP
How this service can help you 
When someone has died, their death needs to be registered with the registrar. Once that's done, several other organisations may have to be contacted and given the same information. 
Tell us once can give the information to the Department of Work and Pensions and they can pass on this information to a number of other government departments and local council services for you.  
Next of Kin 
If you are the next of kin, your entitlement to benefits may change, so please have your own National Insurance number to hand when you contact us. 
If you are not next of kin, or the person who is dealing with the estate of the person who has died, you can still use the service if you have the authority to act on the next of kin's behalf. 
Please remember that it is still your responsibility to make sure that any organisation that pays you a benefit has correct and up-to -date information. 
Information you will need to use this service
To make sure the right information is given to any organisation, it will help if you can bring along the following information about the person who has died:
  • National Insurance number and date of birth
  • Detail of any benefits or services they were receiving
  • Death certificate
  • Driving licence of Driving Licence number 
  • Passport or Passport number
They may also ask you for information about:
  • Next of Kin
  • Any surviving husband, wife or civil partner
  • The person dealing with their estate
You must obtain the agreement of the persons listed above if you are going to provide them with the information about them. 
How they will treat the information you give us 
The information you give will be treated securely and confidentially. The organisation who are contacted will use the information to update records; to end services, benefits and credits as appropriate; and to resolve any outstanding issues. They may use this information in other ways, but only as the law allows. 
This service is committed to ensuring your information is protected. Their privacy statement tells you how they will use and protect your information when you use their service. Ask the Registrar if you wish to see the full privacy statement. 
What happens to the information you provide? 
If you decide to use this service they will be able to pass your information to the following organisations:
  • Department of Work and Pensions
    • The Pension, Disability and Carers Service​
    • Jobcentre Plus
    • Overseas Health Team
  • Ministry of Defence, Service Personnel and Veterans Agency (SPVA)
    • War Pensions Scheme ​
  • HM Revenue and Customs 
    • Child Benefit​
    • Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit 
  • Identity and Passport Service
  • Housing Benefit Office
  • Council Tax Benefit Office
These organisations can also be contacted if you ask them to do so:
  • Local Councils 
    • Council Tax​
    • Council Housing
    • Libraries
    • Blue Badges
    • Adult Services, such as HomeCare, Community Alarms, Sheltered Housing
    • Collection of payment for council services
  • Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency
Department of Work and Pensions Telephone Service
To access the Tell us Once service by telephone after the registration appointment, you can contact the Department of Work and Pensions direct on:
Tel. 0800 085 7308
Monday to Friday, 8.00am - 6.00pm
Calls to this number are free from BT landline, but other providers, including mobile phone providers, may charge you. 
Alternatively, visit:
bottom of page